I don’t know about you but I love a quick meal. And anything that involves taco shells gets bonus points. We love the raw flour tortillas you can find in the cold section near the cheese. They save a lot of time and give you that fresh tortillas taste. We actually use them in several dishes we make. They are perfect for birria tacos. If you can’t find them near you or your store is out, precooked will work just as well. Or you can always make your own tortillas from scratch. But in a pinch just use the store ones. You can make this meal on you stove top with a good flat pan, but we use our outdoor flat top Blackstone grill. It is one of our best gadget purchases for the kitchen that we have made. And no, I am not getting paid to say that. Seriously we cook so much on it! The key to cooking it on something other than the Blackstone is to use a good nonstick surface for cooking the tortillas. If you need to use oil, make sure it is a high heat oil. I like grapeseed oil for this, because it is a higher heat than olive and it won’t leave a taste on the food. It’s also really good for keeping the black shiny seasoning on your cast iron. That seasoning helps prevent the cheese from sticking to the pan surface. If you want a variation in the flavor of the chicken, try adding some taco seasoning to it. I often will do just taco seasoning and make single shell quesadillas instead of large ones with two shells. Either way they are both delicious. Enjoy!
Quick Chicken Quesadillas
- 1 pack chicken tenders roughly 6-8 tenders
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil plus extra for grilling
- 8 each uncooked flour tortillas
- 1/2-1 cup shredded cheese per quesadillas (I like a good cheddar and jack mix)
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Prep your chicken by removing the inner vein of tendon and Cartlidge, then cutting into bite size chunks. Place the chicken in a bowl and mix oil and seasonings all over the chicken. This can be done in advance and stored in the fridge. Heat your grill to a medium high to high heat. Cook your tortillas leaving one side slightly undercooked, then set to the side while you cook the chicken. To cook the chicken, pour your pre seasoned chicken on a hot grill and move around with spatula until almost cooked through. At the end of cooking the chicken add your dark soy sauce and continue cooking while stirring around. You can use the spatula to lightly chop any large pieces so that they sit better between the tortilla shells. Once the chicken is cooked through place a tortilla on the grill. Add cheese, chicken, a little more cheese, and then top with a second tortilla. Allow this to cook for a minute, then carefully flip to cook the other side. This will allow the shell to crisp slightly and the cheese to fully melt. When it is fully cooked remove to a tray and continue process with the rest of the tortillas and the chicken. Slice each quesadilla with a sharp knife and serve with your favorite toppings, taco sauce, and sides.