We used to eat out a lot, and of course I always got the question of can you make this at home? Nine times out of ten the answer is a quick yes of course I can. This soup is one of those that the boys loved to order from Olive Garden.
So recently we made it at home and yes, it is just as good if not better. Because honestly when you order this soup it is a luck of the draw on whether you get a bowl full of gnocchi or just a few dumplings. This usually happens because the gnocchi rise to the top of the pot. If the person serving doesn’t stir it around you will get a bowl full of gnocchi, and then towards the bottom of the pot you will only have a few. This changes at home where you can control that by adding more or less for your liking.
You can use raw chicken in this, but we usually make a big pot of bone broth to use in several meals and either use the meat from that or just grab a jar off the shelf and use a rotisserie chicken from the store. It makes it so much easier having that home made broth on hand through the year.
Caramelizing the onions in the beginning gives a richer flavor to the soup, so don’t skip that and just boil them. If you don’t have fresh thyme, just use some of the dried options. Enjoy!
Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- ½ cup Onion chopped
- ½ cup Carrot chopped
- ¼ cup Celery chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1 Tbsp Fresh thyme chopped
- 6-8 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 2 cups chicken meat chopped and cooked (I use either meat from bone broth or a rotisserie)
- 2 cups baby spinach fresh
- 2 cups gnocchi
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Sauté the chopped onion, carrot, and celery in a pan with the olive oil or butter. Allow this mixture to soften and begin to caramelize. Add in the thyme and allow it to cook for about 30 seconds before adding the broth. Bring the broth to a simmer and add the chicken meat. Clean and roughly slice the spinach into large chunks, then place into the simmering pot. Add in the cream and continue cooking at a low simmer. Add the gnocchi and cook for about 3 minutes. Taste and add any salt or pepper as needed. Serve with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese.