I love marinara sauce as a dip, but even better is it served with cheese and a delicious juicy meatball. No need for pasta it makes a great meal all by itself.
I have made these multiple ways. One is to use the store bag of frozen meatballs and the other is with my homemade Italian meatballs. While the store bought are great in a pinch they aren’t nearly as good as the freshly made ones. One good way to make them quicker is just freezing a batch of par cooked homemade ones for later use. If you don’t have time for that I definitely recommend cooking the store meatballs in a broth first. This will help keep them from drying out and being too rubbery.
I keep my marinara stocked up on my shelf for use all year. It makes it easier when I want to have a quick meal for the boys that tastes like it’s been cooking all day. But you can always use whatever jarred sauce you prefer to buy from the store. I love to make this dish when I have extra sourdough on hand that can be toasted. It makes a perfect dip to enjoy. Another great way is using it for a meatball slider, burger, or hoagie sandwich. Top with some mozzarella and provolone and you have the perfect meal. Enjoy!
Baked Meatballs in Marinara
- 1- pound meatballs cooked or par cooked (roughly 20-2-inch Italian meatballs)
- 1 quart jar marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella or cheese of choice
- 1-2 cups Parmesan cheese grated for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a deep cast iron skillet pour 1 quart of favorite marinara or spaghetti sauce. Place each meatball into the sauce evenly around the pan then carefully move around covering them with sauce. Cook on stovetop bringing sauce to a low simmer. (This can be done in the oven if preferred) Once it begins to simmer sprinkle cheese evenly over the top. Continue cooking in oven or turn on broiler and allow cheese to fully melt and darken slightly. Once cheese is browned remove and serve with a garnish of fresh grated parmesan cheese on top and toasted bread of choice.