The beginning of the school year can get a little hectic as we get settled into new routines. These pizza pockets make a great quick meal for lunches or nights when we are busy, and everyone fends for themselves.
They can be quickly grabbed from the freezer and reheated as needed. I also love how they can be a full fat or healthier low-fat option depending upon which tortilla shells you use and which filling base you choose. I like to use my four-cheese ravioli filling and fresh marinara sauce, but you can always choose to just use cottage cheese and canned marinara sauce. Here are some additional options:
Wraps: Switch up your tortilla flavors with sundried tomato, spinach, homemade, gluten free, or low carb.
Cheese: Use low fat cottage cheese, ricotta, a mixture of both, or feta for the creamy cheese. Just be sure to blend them until creamy with a food processor. For the shredded cheese use any type of melty cheese like mozzarella or provolone. You could even use your favorite low-fat options.
Meat: Don’t like pepperoni, try sausage, or turkey. Or leave the meat out all together and have a cheese version.
Vegetables: I like using frozen spinach, but you could always swap that for any vegetable of choice. Maybe try bell pepper, onions, or squash. Just remember that they will add moisture that can cause leakage problems when cooking. A great way to fix that is to cook the vegetables a little before adding to the filling.
These were a hit in our house, and we now keep a batch in the freezer all the time for moments when we need a quick meal.
Not only are they better for you, but they almost taste identical to store bought hot pockets. Enjoy!
Tortilla Pizza Pockets
- 8-12 small to medium tortillas of choice size will determine amount needed
- 1 1/3 cup ricotta or cottage cheese I like to use my four-cheese ravioli filling
- 1 ½ to 2 cups pepperoni cut into quarters
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup fiesta blend cheese
- 1 ¼ cup marinara sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp basil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup frozen or fresh spinach chopped optional
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan
- Sprinkle of garlic powder
- Sprinkle of basil
- Sprinkle of oregano
- Cut pepperoni into quarter sized pieces. Then mix them with all other filling ingredients in a medium sized bowl. If you are using cottage cheese, blend it first with a food processor until smooth and creamy. Place tortilla shells on a flat surface and scoop roughly ¼ to ½ a cup worth of filling mixture into the center. Fold the tortilla around the filling by tucking the sides in first and then rolling it into a burrito shape. Repeat until all filling is used, placing each on a cookie sheet seem side down. Sprinkle the topping over the top of each filled tortilla and then bake at 450’F for 8-10 minutes. Enjoy fresh from oven or allow to cool completely and then freeze for a quick meal later. To reheat, you can microwave 1-3 minutes or place in an air fryer for 10-15 minutes.