It’s summer and canning season here in the Southern part of the United States. That means gardens are in full swing and you either have a table full of tomatoes to enjoy fresh or preserve for later. Mac-n-T is a perfect recipe for utilizing those tomatoes.
This meal is one that Jim grew up on. It was a quick cheap meal that was often enjoyed thanks to having an abundance of tomatoes put up on the shelf after the summer canning season. In fact, this recipe is best with home canned tomatoes! Jim’s grandparents always grew and canned their own. When he went to college his Mema sent him with several jars of her tomatoes to enjoy and keep him fed. It was a great meal option for a poor college student or anyone on a budget.
While many recipes call for macaroni noodles, we have found we like the curly-q texture of the cellentani pasta better. But you can always use whichever pasta you have on hand. Be sure to taste as you go before adding too much salt, because each variety of canned tomatoes have a different salt content.
We love the tube of cento tomato paste. It makes it easy to add just a tiny bit of tomato paste to the pasta. This will add an extra hit of flavor. Happy canning and enjoying the fruits of your labor!
Macaroni and Tomatoes “Mac-n-T”
- ½ pound cellentani pasta or any macaroni shape
- 1 pint diced tomatoes fresh preferred, but cento brand is our 2nd choice
- 2 tsp tomato paste cento brand
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2-3 tsp Salt
- pepper and garlic powder to taste
- In a medium pot bring to a boil water with a 1-2 tsp of salt. Add your pasta and cook until done. Drain the water and add tomatoes, tomato paste, butter, and seasonings to taste. Enjoy as is or add parmesan and any other toppings of choice.