This is a great gluten free breakfast option. You get all of the texture and taste of a normal waffle, but without the gluten. You also are getting more protein than a normal waffle, which is an added bonus. While I do make this as waffles, you can turn them into pancakes instead. But let’s be serious, they are so cute as tiny waffles. I use this little waffle cooker. It’s perfect for making mini desserts or items for my children. If you are wanting to watch your macros and need to lighten up the mix a bit, simply replace the Ricotta with low fat cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, or a combination of them. I use sweet drops as my sweetener. They don’t have a strong taste that I often find in alternative sugar options. You can also replace the water with almond milk or your choice of liquid. That alone will lower your calories and fat intake. I chose the items in the recipe, because I tend to keep some on hand and like the flavor that it adds to the dish.
The recipe makes 7 small pancakes or waffles. While that may seem like a lot for one serving, trust me it’s not if you are counting macros and eating a high protein diet. I do often make a double batch and only eat two or three little waffles at a time for a sweet snack. I put the rest in a container in the fridge or freezer and save for later. Usually the fridge, because they don’t last long before my son’s and I have finished them off. Add some fresh fruit, a syrup or topping of your choice, and some whipped cream for the perfect sweet guilt free breakfast. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Waffles
- 1 waffle machine
- 40 grams egg white
- 100 grams Ricotta cheese or half greek yogurt, half ricotta
- 10 grams vanilla protein powder
- 60 grams gluten free pancake mix I like King Arthur brand
- 3 grams baking powder
- 5 grams sweetener of choice (20 drops of vanilla sweet drops)
- 60 grams water or your milk of choice.
- Measure out ingredients using a kitchen scale. Blend in either a food processor or use an emulsion mixer. Heat a small waffle iron and brush with oil. I prefer to use a high heat neutral flavor oil like grapeseed oil. Pour batter onto waffle iron surface and cook until lightly golden. Serve with favorite toppings and Enjoy!Makes roughly 6 small waffles.