My mother found this recipe years and years ago. She absolutely loved it! But seriously who doesn’t love toasted pecans and anything with cream cheese and cool whip! It’s the perfect summer dessert to bring to any party.
While the recipe does call for a can of pie filling, you are always welcome to make that from scratch. You can also change it up by using different fruit. So, if you aren’t a big blueberry fan just use cherry or strawberry pie filling instead. Also, if you don’t have self-rising flour simply add 1 tsp baking powder and ¼ tsp salt for every cup of all-purpose flour you use. This dessert is so simple and only requires a little cooking of the crust in the oven.
Everything else is cold when layered into the dish. Because you are baking that crust you want to use a glass casserole dish or line your deep sided pan with parchment. This will prevent the crust from sticking and make it easy to scoop out a perfect slice. I made this recipe several times recently to test what size pan to use. I found that anything over a 9×12 is too big. You will end up with really thin layers, and possibly not have enough dough for the crust. As you can see in the picture below this one was too big and has a few gaps.
If you plan on anything over that size be prepared to increase the amounts in the recipe.
Don’t like pecans? That’s ok! Simply change out the pecans with a different nut variety or make a different crust. Here are some great options:
- Vanilla wafer cookie crust Crush the cookies and blend with a little sugar and butter to create a pressable crust.
- Graham cracker crust Mix ground graham crackers with a little sugar and butter.
- Pretzel crust Substitute the chopped amount of pecans with crushed pretzels.
This dessert is a perfect cool treat on these hot summer days. Whichever way you decide to make it, I hope you and your guests Enjoy every bite!
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 cup Self-Rising flour
- 1 cup coarse chopped pecans
- 1-8 oz. Cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 can blueberry pie filling
- 1 large container cool whip
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Mix crust ingredients together and press into bottom of oven safe casserole dish no larger than a 9x12inch. Bake at 375’F until light brown around the edges. Allow to cool then top with filling. For the filling, blend cream cheese until smooth. Then add powdered sugar and vanilla mixing until blended fully. Spread over the top of the cooled crust. Spread blueberry pie filling over cream cheese mixture. Top with cool whip or favorite sweetened whip topping and sprinkle chopped pecans on top. Place in refrigerator for at least thirty minutes to set up layers. Slice and serve!